Monday 8 April 2019

The Cottage on Lily Pond Lane, Part One: New Beginnings by Emily Harvale


The Cottage on Lily Pond Lane, Part One: New Beginnings
Emily Harvale
Rating: 5 stars

Escape to the seaside village of Little Pondale with Part One of this heart-warming and romantic, four-part serial and the additional books in this series.

Mia Ward is amazed to be told she has inherited her great-aunt Matilda's thatched cottage in the tiny seaside village of Little Pondale - especially as Mia didn't know she had a great-aunt Matilda.

She's even more astonished to discover she'll only inherit the place if she actually lives there for one year. Mia's a city girl at heart, not to mention she's afraid of water, so the fact the cottage backs on to a sandy beach, is not, in her opinion, a bonus.

But Mia's struggling to pay her rent since being fired for inappropriate behaviour at the office party, and her boyfriend's also dumped her. When her best friend, Ella and Ella's brother, Garrick offer to help her move and settle in, Mia decides to see this as a new beginning.

It may also be the start of an exciting adventure because now Mia wants to know just who, exactly, was great-aunt Matilda. And she's determined to find out. But it soon becomes clear that someone is trying to make sure Mia doesn't stay in Little Pondale...

--------------------------------

I have been wanting to read this series for so long now, and when I won a Kindle Unlimited voucher I jumped at the chance to download these onto my Kindle! I love the pretty, simple cover. I love the sea glittering away in the background, the pond in the centre, and the cute little cottages with beautiful flowers all over the cover. It gives you a great view into Little Pondale and I couldn't wait to get stuck in!

It starts with Mia moving into Sunbeam Cottage and there's quite of bit of drama to start with. With a tractor blocking the way, and then mad neighbour Hettie arriving and stirring trouble, Mia wonders if she bit off more than she can chew. There's also a bit of mystery involved with the move, as Mia had never heard not met her great-aunt Matilda (or Mattie) but the villagers all seem to know her really well and keep telling Mia that Mattie always spoke highly of her despite them not being in contact.

I found with this novel, that it concentrates on a couple of days at a time, and I found myself half way through still reading about the move in day. However, I really liked this because there was so much description and so much going on that it really didn't feel like it had been dragged out at all. I loved the other villagers we got to meet and was really looking forward to reading more about what Mia got up to in Little Pondale, and I couldn't wait to unravel some of those mysteries that seemed to be hanging around...

I'll let you know how I get on with the rest of the novellas in the series - watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment