Saturday 27 April 2019

Summer at The Little Duck Pond Cafe by Rosie Green


Summer at the Little Duck Pond Cafe
Rosie Green
Rating: 5 stars

Jaz Winters stuck a pin in a map and fled to the village of Sunnybrook, looking for a brand new life - and after a rocky start, it's beginning to look as if she made the right decision. Her blossoming friendship with Ellie and Fen has seen her through some dark times, and she's managed to land two jobs - waitressing at The Little Duck Pond Cafe and working as a weekend tour guide at Brambleberry Manor, the country house that's been in Fen's family for generations.

Sure, life isn't totally perfect. There's the irritating know-it-all guy who keeps popping up on her manor tours, for a start. He seems determined to get under Jaz's skin whether she likes it or not. But she supposes he's a small price to pay for the relative peace she's found, living in Sunnybrook.

But just as Jaz is beginning to think rosier times are on the horizon, a shock encounter looks set to shatter her fragile happiness.

Will she be forced to flee from Sunnybrook and everyone she's grown so fond of? Or will she find the strength to stand her ground and finally face up to the nightmares of the past?

--------------------------

I'd been looking forward to get to know more about Jaz and her story. When I first read about her in part one, she seemed distant, quite rude and overall just not a very nice person! However, when I first started reading this novella, I knew straight away just why she acted the way she did and I completely fell for her. I feel like the covers just keep getting prettier and prettier, I love the bright flowers, bunting and butterflies on this cover and of course the cute little ducks and cottages! This is possibly my favourite cover out of the whole series, it just looks so happy and inviting!

I really felt for Jaz when I read the first chapter of this novella, she really had been going through a lot what with what Grant done to her and I was happy for her when she decided to move to Sunnybrook to lay low for a little while. At first I actually thought Titch was a cat but it was soon made clear that she is Grant's daughter - which possibly makes Jaz's situation worse because she hasn't really got much say in what's going on.

The book was summery and gave off a happy feel to it. I really started enjoying it more when Jaz got the job at Fen's family home and when Harry and Jaz's relationship started heating up! Even though Jaz thought Harry annoying at the start, it was clear that she found him attractive and I had a feeling they would have a happy ever after! I also love that no matter who the novel's main character is, there's still involvement in the other secondary characters - such as Ellie (from the first in the series) and Fen (who's story is told in the third of the series) and I also love that a lot of the story is based around the cafe and the duck pond. It just has such a wonderful community feel to the overall novel and the ending left me feeling all warm inside.

In my last review, I mentioned that Ellie's mums Rose's story was left in the open a bit. Well, we did learn more about Rose in this one and I'm pleased that those little confusions were laid to rest! Even though it was kind of left on a cliffhanger again, what with the Grant and Titch mishap, I'm sure it'll be spoken about more in the next novella so I'm looking forward to finding out more. One thing's for sure, I'm so glad that Jaz got her happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment