Thursday 25 April 2019

Spring at The Little Duck Pond Cafe by Rosie Green


Spring at the Little Duck Pond Cafe
Rosie Green
Rating: 5 stars

Fleeing from a romance gone wrong, Ellie Farmer arrives in the pretty little village of Sunnybrook, hoping for a brand new start that most definitely does not include love! Following an unscheduled soak in the village duck pond, she meets Sylvia, who runs the nearby Duck Pond Cafe. Renting the little flat above the cafe seems like the answer to Ellie's prayers. It's only for six months, which will give her time to sort out her life, far away from cheating boyfriend Richard.

But is running away from your past ever really the answer?

Clashing with the mysterious and brooding Zack Chamberlain, an author with a bad case of writer's block, is definitely not what Ellie needs right now. And then there's Sylvia, who's clinging so hard to her past, she's in danger of losing the quaint but run-down Duck Pond Cafe altogether.

Can Ellie find the answers she desperately needs in Sunnybrook? And will she be able to help save Sylvia's little Duck Pond Cafe from closure?

-------------------------------

I'm currently reading the Little Duck Pond Cafe series as a whole (A Year at the Little Duck Pond Cafe) but decided it best to review the novel as parts as there's so much happening and the stories follow different characters. These novella's have always caught my eye but I got so behind with them that I decided there were too many to keep up! However, when I saw there was one full book with most of the novella's included, I knew I had to read it. The covers for them all are really delightful. This one in particular is so cute! I love the bright pastel colours, the swirly writing, the duck pond, flowers and the cute little cottages along the back! It's very eye-catching and it draws you in. Very inviting!

Onto the story itself, as soon as I started reading this I knew I was going to enjoy it. Rosie Green's style of writing reminds me a lot of Cathy Bramley's so it was a delight to read. I was engaged straight from the start and was eager to learn more about Ellie. What I did learn however, broke my heart. I absolutely felt so awful for what Ellie and her mum was going through and couldn't imagine ever dealing with that situation. I really felt for her and at quite a few times throughout the novel I had tears brimming!

I really liked Ellie's character, she seemed sweet, quite funny and just overall a really lovely person. As well as Ellie, we meet the other villagers and they're just as delightful as our main character - well baring one - the bakery manager, Monster Madge. Sylvia was so cute and sweet! Fen seemed lovely enough but I'm really looking forward to hearing more about her because she seems quite troubled. Even Mick was really lovely. I also found myself warming to Zack, the main male character in this particular novella.

The setting sounded absolutely wonderful and the lovely little village sounded idyllic. The cottages, the duck pond and the bakery all sounded lovely and I longed to visit someplace similar. I felt this novella was left on a bit of a cliffhanger, as there wasn't really any finality on how or what is happening with Ellie's mum, but I hope in the next one we'll find out more. This novella is heartwarming and uplifting and will leave you feeling like you can get over anything. I can't wait to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment