Thursday 11 April 2019

The Cottage on Lily Pond Lane, Part Four: Trick or Treat by Emily Harvale


The Cottage on Lily Pond Lane, Part Four: Trick or Treat
Emily Harvale
Rating: 5 stars

Escape to the seaside village of Little Pondale with Part Four of this heart-warming and romantic, four-part serial.

Mia Ward was amazed to inherit her great-aunt Matilda's thatched cottage in the tiny seaside village of Little Pondale - especially as Mia didn't know she had a great-aunt Matilda. She was even more astonished to discover she'd only inherit the place if she lives there for a year.

But a lot can happen in a very short time, and life in Little Pondale is not going quite as Mia hoped. She may have finally beaten one fear, but now heartbreak threatens to drown her.

And when at last, she starts to unravel the mystery of Matilda's past, she uncovers an extraordinary plan for her own future. Now just who can Mia trust?

As the nights draw in and cold winds steal through Sunbeam Cottage, she turns to an unlikely source for comfort and support. But with the fortune teller's warning still ringing in her ears, is Mia about to make the biggest mistake of her life?

---------------------------------

I'm nearing the end of the series now and I have to say I'm really disappointed that it's coming to an end! I've absolutely loved every part in this series and I love Emily Harvale's easy style of writing. It's uplifting, lighthearted and easy to read which is what makes it so enjoyable. I know I've said this in all of my other reviews on this series but I love that the cover changes slightly with each new novella. This one has a beautiful, deep purple sky with cute little pumpkin bunting hanging along the top! Each cover gives you a clear idea as to what that particular novella is going to be about.

In this novella, we learn possibly the most we have ever known about Mattie. Some of the things that come out about her are really unbelievable but it goes with the story really well, it makes everything fall into place and make so much more sense. One thing I did find a little bit unbelievable was when Gill came to visit Mia, to talk about the letters that Mattie used to send to his grandfather, and Mia invited him to stay for as long as he wanted in the cottage. Don't get me wrong it's a lovely thought and Mia does come across as really selfless throughout the whole series but I just felt this was going a bit too far.

Mia had been through so much throughout this series, what with Garrick and Fiona, her secrets coming out about her inheritance, the fortune teller and of course the little messages someone has been secretly leaving on Mia's front porch warning her leave. I am so so eager to find out who has been leaving these messages! As they seem to be getting more and more aggressive. I was so hoping that in this novella we would find out. I love the characters in this series too. I really like Mia's mum Lori and was happy when she found love. I also really like Ella's way and felt that I was going to be saying 'Bloody Nora' soon too!

It's funny how your opinion can change of a character. Throughout the series, I loved Garrick and also Tom and wasn't too keen on Jet. But as the story has gone on, I dislike Garrick for what he's done to Mia, and Tom has gone way down in my estimations - I felt as though he was hiding something and I wanted to desperately know what it is! He was constantly shifty and being a bit funny when Mia mentioned Mattie's diaries so I knew something was going on with him!

I'll let you know how I get on with the rest of the novella's in the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment