Sunday 21 January 2018

A Year of New Adventures by Maddie Please


A Year of New Adventures
Maddie Please
Rating: 4 stars
Amazon UK (K £1.99 / P £7.99)

Billie Summers has always been quite content in her little cottage in the Cotswolds, sure half the house hasn't been renovated, but what's the point when it's only her? Working part-time at her uncle's bookshop and planning 3-4 writer retreats with her best friend allows her to pay the bills. What more could anyone want?

That is until Oliver Forest, the bad boy of the book world, turns up to one of her retreats and points out that Billie hasn't done anything very adventurous. Couple that with her best friend falling head over heels and beginning to drift away from their Friday night wine and dinner plans, Billie is starting to wonder if it isn't time she tried something exciting for a change...

So she starts a list: get fitted (properly) for a bra, fix up rest of house, find a 'career' and well, get a tattoo ... Her life might just get the makeover it needs, too bad pesky and far-too-attractive Oliver keeps showing up ...

Because sometimes love just won't let go

----------------------------------------

I was really looking forward to this new one by Maddie Please. I'd quite enjoyed Maddie's first novel and was looking forward to reading another by her. This one, I feel, was written better than the first, the narrative easier to understand and follow. I also felt as though I related to the character better as well. Sometimes life throws things at you unexpectedly and I feel that Billie took Oliver's words in her stride and planned to make her life better.

The book turned out to be brilliant as the story went on and I really enjoyed the storyline. It had some great laugh-out-loud moments, but also sometimes where you really felt and understood Billie's actions. I loved that Billie changed her life around, by wanting a new everything - a new career, love life and so on. Although, I'll be honest, I loved the fact that Billie creates writer retreats, it's different and I really found it interesting to read about.

I will admit that the ending struck me as somewhat abrupt, and I wasn't expecting it, however pushing that aside I still did end up enjoying the overall storyline. I felt as though I related to the main character and that for me is a big part of a book. If I do not relate to the main character then I just can't get in it. It was another novel by Maddie Please that I enjoyed. As with Maddie's other covers, I found this one to be really stunning. The bright colours drawing you in, and I adore the little village in the background!

Overall, an enjoyable story - but not my favourite ever book. Thank you to Netgalley and to the publisher for a chance to read this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment