Saturday 27 January 2018

The Endless Beach by Jenny Colgan


The Endless Beach
Jenny Colgan
Rating: 4 stars
Amazon UK (K £3.99 / P £3.00)

On the quayside next to the Endless Beach sits the Summer Seaside Kitchen. It's a haven for tourists and locals alike, who all come to eat the freshest local produce on the island and catch up with the gossip. Flora, who runs the cafe, feels safe and content - unless she thinks too hard about her relationship with Joel, her gorgeous but emotionally (and physically) distant boyfriend.

While Flora is in turmoil about her relationship, her best friend Lorna is pining after the local doctor. Saif came to the island as a refugee, having lost all of his family. But he's about to get some shocking news which will change everything for him.

As cold winter nights shift to long summer days, can Flora find her happy-ever-after with Joel?

------------------------------

I haven't read much by Jenny Colgan before so wasn't sure exactly what to expect but I can say that I was pleasantly surprised. The title captured me, I thought it sounded charming and exciting so was keen to get stuck into it. It started off a bit slow if I'm 100% honest but as soon as you got into it it was really enjoyable.

There is a novel set before this one with the same kinda characters (which I did not know until I started reading) but this doesn't actually matter because there are a few pages at the beginning where Jenny explains everything major that occurred in the first novel. At first I was worried that I wouldn't understand what was going on and as a result not enjoy reading it but in actual fact it was easy to get into (once the initial slow part was over) and I found myself eager to read on and find out more.

The characters are all really lovely and it's nice again to see a community where everyone wants to help each other out and where everyone is so close. It was really lovely to read and not for the first time wishing that I could live somewhere like this. The characters are all where you would fully relate to them as a person and what they're going through, their stories all being really intriguing and gripping. I enjoyed reading about Flora, but really enjoyed reading about all the other characters on Mure as well. There are some parts in the book about Joel, whom Flora is starting a relationship with, that I didn't see coming! It was excellent writing.

Overall, I found this book by Jenny Colgan to be written beautifully and was really interesting and gripping. I will definitely be looking into reading more by Jenny Colgan in the future. It was heart-warming and emotional and just genuinely really lovely. This story didn't disappoint and will pull at your heartstrings for sure.

Thank you to Netgalley and to the publisher for a chance to read this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment