Tuesday 14 November 2017

The Queen of Wishful Thinking by Milly Johnson


The Queen of Wishful Thinking
Milly Johnson
Rating: 5 stars
Amazon UK (K £4.99 / P £4.00 / H £14.55)

Synopsis:

When Lewis Harley has a health scare in his early forties, he takes it as a wake-up call. So he and his wife Charlotte leave behind life in the fast lane and Lewis opens the antique shop he has dreamed of. Bonnie Brookland was brought up in the antiques trade and now works for the man who bought out her father's business, but she isn't happy there. So when she walks into Lew's shop, she knows this is the place for her.

As Bonnie and Lew start to work together, they soon realise that there is more to their relationship than either thought. But Bonnie is trapped in an unhappy marriage, and Lew and Charlotte have more problems than they care to admit. Each has secrets in their past which are about to be uncovered. Can they find the happiness they both deserve?

----------------------------

I don't think words will ever confirm how much I absolutely loved this book. At first I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it as much as Milly's other novels, but boy was I wrong. I mainly thought this because it had a lot of talk about antiques, and because I didn't really understand all that talk, I thought I was going to struggle with it. However, this is for literally only a few pages at the beginning when Bonnie changes jobs to work in The Pot of Gold.

The story follows main characters Bonnie and Lew, and their lives that intertwine. Bonnie walks into Lew's new antique shop and luckily gets a job. The story goes from there and it's so interesting you'd be mad not to read it! So lets start with Bonnie, she's married to control-freak Stephen, whom she is very unhappy with and is planning to leave. However, we soon find out how much of a controlling man Stephen is when Bonnie tells him she's leaving him...

Lew is someone on the other end of the happy marriage scale - he believes that his marriage to wife Charlotte is going swimmingly and he loves her very dearly, although they lost something they both wanted, they're moving on from that and trying to get on with their lives together. Charlotte is a big demanding, but Lew still wants her to be happy and gives her what she wants, to an extent. At least that's what Lew thought, at one dinner party, he found out something that changes his relationship to wife Charlotte forever...

The story is fast paced and I loved every page. The storyline was so interesting, so gripping that I found myself never putting it down. I was finding an excuse to read it at every turn - Boyfriend watching football? Read the book! Waiting for brownies to cook? Read the book! Long car journey? Just read the book! I don't think I can put it into words how much I loved it. The story took a turn in which I totally wasn't expecting and after the twist I found it even harder to put down!!

Overall, a brilliant storyline that's not to be missed. One of my favourite Milly Johnson novels by far!! If you don't pick up this novel, you'll regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment