Wednesday 29 November 2017

The Pets at Primrose Cottage: A Place to Hide by Sheila Norton


The Pets at Primrose Cottage: A Place to Hide
Sheila Norton
Rating: 5 stars
Amazon UK £0.99

Synopsis:

PART ONE of a serialised novel - a charming and romantic story about living the simple life and the joy of animals.

Emma Nightingale needs a place to hide away. Pursued by the demons left by her ex-boyfriend, she takes refuge in quiet Crickleford, a sleepy town in Dartmoor, where she can lay low.

Life in Crickleford is quiet and peaceful, but it won't be for long if people discover the truth about Emma's past. Not wanting to make too much of a fuss, she ends up lying about why she's there - she's looking after some cats, she says - then suddenly the town's new 'pet-sitter' is in high demand!

While looking after an Alsatian, Emma finds all attention is on her, and the handsome young reporter from the local paper takes an interest in her story...

Note: this is part one of a four-part serialised novel. The full length paperback will be available in April 2018

--------------------------------------------

I've been so excited to read this part 1 of Sheila Norton's new novel as her books always look so inviting and pretty. I already have The Vets at Hope Green on my TBR pile and I can't wait to dive in once I've finished reading this. First of all, the covers are so beautiful and cosy-looking. Like this one for example, I love the font, the colours, the snow and of course the little dog running along the bottom! The following 3 covers look as inviting as this one too.

Any books that involve romance and animals is a win win in my book! Straight away with this novel I was drawn in and couldn't put it down because from the beginning there is mystery in regards to why Emma has had to leave her family home and find somewhere to lay low for a while. I loved the character of Lauren and little Holly, they were friendly, inviting and Holly has a lot of cute sass that made me smile. I absolutely loved reading about Emma's job with the dog and cat sitting (my family also looks after dogs so I can fully relate to Emma!) and I loved reading about the animals own little personalities - it was so cute!

Straight away I loved the descriptions of Crickleford and I knew that I was going to enjoy this novel and where it was set (when the rest of the series comes out). I love Sheila's style of writing, it's descriptive, enjoyable, humorous and lighthearted - all of which makes for an easy read. At first I was a bit hesitant about Emma's past, wondering what on earth could have happened for Emma to have to go into hiding, I was so intrigued that I couldn't put it down! And as it's only under 100 pages long, it didn't take long to finish it but that just left me so looking forward for the next one being released!

As I've mentioned before I'm not a huge fan of books that are split into parts, I get aggravated with the waiting and I get impatient! However, having said that, I did really enjoy this novella, and I am actually more excited than annoyed about having to wait. There's a bit of twist near the end of this novella, which to say I was shocked about would be an understatement! As always, it's left on a cliffhanger, meaning I can't wait to read the next one to see what happens!

Overall, a really quick paced and easy read with lots happening - I couldn't put it down! Thank you to Netgalley and to the publisher for a chance to read this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment