Saturday 25 November 2017

The Bookshop Detective by Jan Ellis


The Bookshop Detective
Jan Ellis
Rating: 4 stars
Amazon UK (K £4.07 / P £7.99)

Synopsis:

When a ghost ship is spotted on the horizon one spring evening, bookseller Eleanor Mace decides to investigate the myths and legends of Combemouth, the Decon seaside town where she runs The Reading Room.

As Eleanor digs deeper into the towns history, she becomes intruiged by a Victorian crime report that seems to have unexpected links to the present day. A celebrity book launch, an exploding dress and some salsa-dancing pensioners make this a mystery with a difference.

--------------------------

As you know (whoever does read my blog), I'm not a huge mystery fan. However, having said that, since having this blog, I've had a few mystery books to read and I have found myself enjoying them. This book is no different. 

The book follows main character Eleanor, after she spots a very mysterious ghost ship upon the horizon one spring evening. Eleanor is someone who I found easily relatable and I enjoyed reading about her and what she got up to. As well as this, the story was so endearing, that I found myself struggling to put the book down! As Eleanor is looking up the towns history, she becomes increasingly interested in a Victorian court case, and she is suddenly desperate to find out what happened to the boy who the court case revolved around.

I really found the story so interesting (there aren't many books that centre a ghost ship!) and I was instantly hooked to the mystery. I found Eleanor's story a bit more interesting than the ghost ship itself but really enjoyed it all overall. Eleanor's character is bubbly, easily relatable and I found that I could really connect with her.

As the story continues and the mystery unravels, you really start to realise just how clever it is and how well written. I love the relationships between the characters, the descriptions used around the town, and as I said before I'm not a huge fan of mysteries but I found myself really enjoying this one. As well as this, it was actually quite light-hearted for a mystery novel, it wasn't quite as dark and moody as I pictured a typical mystery book!

Overall, an enjoyable and easy read with lots of tension and surprises. A gripping novel that I couldn't put down. Even though it is in a series, I think it could be read as a stand alone. Thank you to Jan Ellis for a chance to read this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment