Friday 31 May 2019

The Cornish Cream Tea Bus: Don't Go Baking My Heart by Cressida McLaughlin


The Cornish Cream Tea Bus: Don't Go Baking My Heart
Cressida McLaughlin
Rating: 5 stars

Baking fanatic, Charlie Quilter, is surprised when her late uncle bequeaths his vintage bus to her in his will. Charlie thinks it will be the perfect mobile cafe for afternoon tea, and when her friend, Juliette, suggests Charlie comes to stay with her in the picturesque Cornish village of Porthgolow, she's thrilled at the change of a new start.

Charlie and her cute dog, Marmite, make new friends wherever their bus stops - except for the attractive but reclusive owner of the posh spa up on the hill, Daniel Harper, who isn't very pleased that her bus is parked outside his lovely hotel.

Has Charlie's Cornish dream developed a soggy bottom? Or can she convince Daniel that her bus could be the start of something wonderful for the little village - and for them?

--------------------------------------

I was eagerly awaiting a new novel or series by Cressida McLaughlin, her novels are brilliant and I can never put them down! So when I saw the cover of this on Amazon I couldn't wait to read it. I absolutely adore the colours used - such bright pastel colours used on the bus, the bright yellow sand, sunshiny blue sky and the cute bunting along the top makes such a lovely cover and makes me want to visit wherever that cover was based on! I also love that at the start of each chapter there is a cute little teacup!

The story starts off quite sadly, with Charlie and her dad working on the old bus and feeling quite emotional as they've just lost a loved one. However, you can feel how close they were to Hal and how close they are as father and daughter and it was quite a nice opening. The story gets moving quite quickly, so soon we're enjoying Charlie taking Gertie out for a test run at a fair, to see how people react. Most of Hal's old friends aren't too impressed, and after a minor disaster strikes, Charlie is left feeling quite deflated. Her boss orders her to take some time off, and so Charlie decides to go down to Porthgolow to visit best friend Juliette and to get a break away from everything else.

Porthgolow sounded so idyllic and not for the first time throughout Cressida's novels I'm wishing that I could live or visit some place just like that! The story absolutely flew by, and once Charlie moved to Porthgolow I really started loving it and didn't want it to end! I loved the new characters, the new location, and everything that was changing with Gertie was just so exciting! I simply cannot wait to see what happens next in this series. It's absolutely fabulous and I urge you to give it a read.

Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read this novel via Netgalley, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment