Tuesday 14 May 2019

Summer at the Old Boathouse by Hannah Ellis


Summer at the Old Boathouse
Hannah Ellis
Rating: 4 stars

Of all the guys, she falls for the one who's off limits...

Emily Winters would do anything for her best friend Josie. Every week they meet for a catch up at the Old Boathouse - an idyllic little cafe by the Thames where Josie's boyfriend Jack works.

As the summer draws on, life seems perfect. Emily's writing career is taking off and she's throwing herself into the dating scene.

There's just one problem: she compares all the men she meets to Jack.

And none of them measure up.

Now all she needs to do is figure out how to fall out of love with her best friend's boyfriend. Because even when Josie moves to the countryside, and her relationship with Jack crumbles, Emily knows there are rules to friendship that you should never break.

But can they be bent in the name of love? Is there a way Emily can get the man of her dreams without ruining her friendship with Josie? One thing's for certain: when you're in love with your best friend's guy, the course of true love will be anything but smooth...

-----------------------------------

I was so happy to be back reading another novel by Hannah Ellis, however I was a bit disappointed because it wasn't set in Hope Cove! I wasn't sure if I'd like it being set in a different location and with some of it being set in the past. So when I first started reading it, I didn't know what to make of it at first. The cover is quite dark in colours, so not as eye-catching but I do love the theme that goes throughout all of the covers in the series.

This novel follows Josie's best friend Emily. She's shy and quiet and is trying her hardest to get her writing career off the ground. When I read the synopsis and saw that Emily had fallen for Jack, I wasn't sure I enjoy reading it. One because I wasn't a huge fan of Jack in the second novel, and two because Emily wasn't one of my favourite characters either! When I started reading it, it was during an argument between Emily and Josie and I have to say I was really confused. Then it went back to a couple of years before and I was even more confused!

However, once the story got into it. I started enjoying it more and more. Jack started to seem like a nicer person and if anything I went off Josie a bit! She seemed quite spiteful and selfish and wasn't very nice to Emily. It was interesting how a different perspective can change the way you feel about someone. I also really did end up liking the location of the novel, where the Old Boathouse was set sounded idyllic and really sweet.

Overall, not my favourite of the series but enjoyable all the same. I've really liked reading about these characters and I'll be sad once the series is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment