Saturday 25 August 2018

Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements


Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop
Abby Clements
Rating: 4 stars

One Shop. Two Sisters. An Unforgettable Summer.

When Imogen and Anna unexpectedly inherit their grandmother Vivien's ice cream parlour, it turns both their lives upside-down. The Brighton shop is a seafront institution, but while it's big on charm it's critically low on customers. If the sisters don't turn things around quickly, their grandmother's legacy will disappear forever.

With summer looming, Imogen and Anna devise a plan to return Vivien's to it's former glory. Rather than sell up, they will train up, and make the parlour the newest destination on the South Coast foodie map. While Imogen watches the shop, her sister flies to Italy to attend a gourmet ice cream-making course. But as she works shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the best chefs in the industry, Anna finds that romance can bloom in the most unexpected of places...

---------------------------------------

I've had this book lingering in my TBR pile for some time now. First found in a charity shop, I couldn't resist the cover - nor the name! The colours are pastel and pretty and I love the detail surrounding the cover. The ice-cream sundae's, the cherries, and everything in between! This novel looks and sounds scrumptious, and I couldn't wait to get into it.

The overall story is enjoyable and easy to read. Although it's not the longest book by a mile, it's still quite a long novel but I felt like I was flying through the pages, as it was just so easy to read. The two sisters were easily relatable and at the same time totally different. I loved reading about their separate lives, and when I was about 70% through, I wondered what was going to happen as the storyline had poodled along up until this point.

When Anna travels to Italy and meets Matteo, I thought nothing of it. They didn't really interact and they carried on with their day to day lives when Anna returned to England. Only thing that we saw from time to time was when they sent each other recipes. So, it was quite a shock when he turned up at the end of the novel declaring his love for her! In regards to Jon, I kind of saw what happened with him coming. I really felt for Anna with what she was going through with Jon but was shocked when things turned out the way they did.

With regards to Imogen, I found her romance with Finn nearer the end of the book a little boring, so I actually skipped quite a few of those pages! I would say that the first part of this novel is a lot better and more put together than the second part. I found that it's just more enjoyable to read. Having said that, I did still really like this book and I'm glad I finally gave it a read! Now to read the second novel in this little series, all about Anna in Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment