Thursday 23 August 2018

Million Love Songs by Carole Matthews


Million Love Songs
Carole Matthews
Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Ruby Brown is ready for a change.

She's single for the first time in years and she's going to dive into this brave new world with a smile on her face and a spring in her step. The last thing she's looking for is a serious relationship.

Mason represents everything Ruby wants right now: he's charming, smooth and perfect for some no-strings-attached fun. Joe on the other hand is kind and attractive, but comes with the sort of baggage Ruby wants to avoid: an annoyingly attractive ex-wife and two teenage children.

Ruby thinks she knows what she wants, but is it what she needs to be truly happy? It's about to get emotional in Million Love Songs.

-------------------------------

Going back to the author that started my love affair with Romance novels, Carole Matthews is without a doubt one of my favourite authors. She has a way of grabbing the readers attention from the very beginning and throughout the whole novel.

The cover of this particular novel of hers is quite different to the ones I've read before but I actually quite like that. It's simplistic, which I think a lot of authors are going for now, but it works well and doesn't give the story away too much. However, there are key details scattered around the cover that gives us some sort of inkling. I love the colourful little birds, the eiffel tower, the cups of tea and also the pretty flowers. The font also catches your eye.

I'm umming and ahhing as to rate this a 3.5 or 4 stars! It took me quite a while to get into this story, but when I did I just couldn't put it down. It wasn't as happy and bubbly as Carole's other novels, and for that I'm not sure if I enjoyed it as much. Don't get me wrong, it ends nicely but quite abruptly in my opinion! I found myself quite often getting a bit irritated with what Ruby did, especially when things seemed to be going quite well for her! The whole love triangle thing between Ruby, Joe and Mason was interesting but quite exhausting at the same time!

Quite surprisingly, I did really enjoy the concerts and events to do with Take That! I'm not a big fan in any sense but it was really enjoyable reading about Charlie and Nice Paul and all the events that they went to. I also enjoyed the part where Ruby went to Paris, even though what happened there was quite unexpected and I couldn't quite believe I was reading it! I'm glad with how it ended, I feel that Ruby got the right man and I'm pleased she didn't end up with who she could have been!

Overall, an interesting and enjoyable read but not my favourite of Carole Matthews novels unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment