Thursday 1 August 2019

A Match Made in Devon by Cathy Bramley


A Match Made in Devon
Cathy Bramley
Rating: 4 stars

A Match Made in Devon is being published as a four-part serial. This is the complete story in one package.

Sometimes you have to play a part to realise who you really are...

Nina has always dreamed of being a star. Unfortunately her agent thinks she's more girl-next-door than leading lady and her acting career isn't going quite as planned. Then, after a series of very public blunders and to escape a gathering storm of paparazzi, Nina is forced to flee from London.

Her plan is to lay low with a friend in Devon, in beautiful Brightside Cove. But soon Nina learns that more drama can be found in a small village on a hectic television set.

And when a gorgeous man (and his adorable dog) catch her eye, it's not long before London and showbiz start to lose their appeal. Will Nina choose to return to the bright lights or has she met her match in Brightside Cove?

---------------------------------

I must say I always love a Cathy Bramley novel, but to be honest, the first time I tried to read this I had to give up. I wasn't sure what it was but something about the storyline and main character Nina didn't sit too well with me. Maybe I couldn't connect with her for whichever reason, or maybe because I thought the storyline was a bit OTT but I just couldn't finish it. So, it's been about a year since I last tried to read this and I thought I'd try again.

Firstly, the cover is possibly one of my most favourites of Cathy Bramley's. I LOVE the scone at the bottom, the strawberries look delightful and I love the glittering sea and coast line. It screams summer and I was excited to try reading this again. This time around, it did still take me a little while to get into the storyline but this time, I pushed past it and once I read the first 70 odd pages I started to really get into it. I felt sorry for Theo and what he had been through, and I hoped that he cheered up and things started going his way.

I started liking Nina more too, once I got past the first bit. She seemed like she had her heart in the right place and I was glad when she went back to Brightside Cove to help Theo. Another character who I wasn't 100% sure on at first was Eliza. She seemed way too forward at the beginning when Nina first met her and seemed to be putting her foot in it quite a few times! But after a while I warmed to her and she was one of my favourites in the end as well as Ned and Nora. Whilst the characters weren't exactly my favourites, I loved the location and I loved the idea of the business that Nina helps Theo set up.

Overall, it was still an enjoyable read but wasn't one of my favourites by Cathy Bramley unfortunately. Not sure what it was but I don't feel that I really connected with the main character, Nina, as much as the other characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment