Sunday 28 July 2019

The Little Flower Shop by the Sea by Ali McNamara


The Little Flower Shop by the Sea
Ali McNamara
Rating: 5 stars

The blossom is out in the little Cornish harbour town of St Felix

But Poppy Carmichael's spirits aren't lifted by the pretty West Country spring. Inheriting her grandmother's flower shop has forced her to return to Cornwall, a place that holds too many memories.

Poppy is determined to do her best for the sake of her adored grandmother, but she struggles with the responsibility of the more-shabby-than-chic shop. And with the added complication of Jake, the gruff but gorgeous local flower grower, Poppy is very tempted to run away...

The pretty little town has a few surprises in store for Poppy. With new friends to help her and romance blooming, it's time for Poppy to open her heart to St Felix and to the special magic of a little flower shop by the sea!

Let Ali McNamara, author of the much-loved From Notting Hill with Love...Actually, bring some sparkling sunshine into your life.

-------------------------------------

I always find that Ali McNamara's novels have a certain amount of magic in them. This one is no different. I have had this novel on my TBR pile for ages but have only just got round to reading it, and I wonder why I left it so long! It's a lighthearted and easy read, a perfect way to spend a few hours. The cover of this novel is so pretty, I love the ombre sky, the coloured buildings, and the surrounding fields and sea.

At first I was so unsure on main character Poppy, only because there was a huge mystery behind her and what she had been through. She seemed very distant from everyone and was occasionally very snappy, which I didn't really like reading, especially when everyone was just trying to be kind to her! However, as the novel went on, we can clearly see Poppy coming out of her hard shell and relaxing a little - and it's nice to see her happy! I liked Amber's character, Jake and of course I was in love once Basil came into the story! (and equally heartbroken when he unexpectedly left it too!!!!)

As well as the characters mentioned above, there are a bunch of other secondary characters that we get to meet and they all come across as delightful and overall very lovely. There's a real community spirit in this little town, and I loved reading about them all coming together to help each other out. It's so heartwarming to see. One character I wasn't sure on was actually Ash. However, I think this is just because I really didn't want Ash and Poppy to get together! I had my hopes on Poppy falling for Jake! (which was clear from the very beginning that this is what is going to happen - but it was so nice to see it all unfolding!) I also loved the setting of this novel, any book set in Cornwall is a winner in my book, so I really loved it. It sounded like the most perfect place to live.

Overall, another very enjoyable and easy read by the lovely Ali McNamara. I will be on the look out for more of her novels in the near future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment