Monday 1 July 2019

My Lemon Grove Summer by Jo Thomas


My Lemon Grove Summer
Jo Thomas
Rating: 5 stars

Could the lemon groves of Sicily be the perfect place to start over? The irresistible new novel from Jo Thomas, the author of Sunset Over the Cherry Orchard, will transport you to the island of mountains and sparkling blue seas.

When life hands you lemons ... is it ever too late for a second chance?

Zelda's impulsive nature has got her precisely nowhere up until now. A fresh start in a beautiful hilltop town in Sicily looking for new residents, together with her best friend Lennie, could be just what she needs. And who better to settle down with than the person who knows her best?

But the sun-filled skies and sparkling seas can't hide the shadow hanging over Citta d'Ora, which means not everyone is pleased to see their arrival. The dreams Zelda and her fellow new residents had of setting up a new life might be slipping away. But a friendship with restauranteur Luca could be about to unlock the possibilities that life in the local lemon groves. And there's a wedding on the horizon that might be just what the town needs to turn it around... 

Could a summer in Sicily help Zelda learn to trust her instinct and follow her heart?

-----------------------------------

What an amazing novel by the extremely talented Jo Thomas. This book had me hooked from start to finish and had a completely refreshing storyline. I'd never read a book quite like this before and I loved every page. I flew through this novel and I didn't want it to end! The cover, is quite possibly one of my favourites of all time! I love the bright colours used, the blue of the sea, the yellow of the lemons, the plants and bright sky - all of it is completely eye-catching and simply stunning. I've always enjoyed Jo Thomas' novels, I started reading her novels back when I first got into Romance/Chick Lit and I haven't stopped loving them - in fact, they just seem to keep getting better and better!

This novel in particular was one of my favourites. I adored Zelda's impulsive and funny character. She had some great traits and I couldn't help but warm to her. Then there's Lennie who I also loved, and his mum Valerie and handsome restaurant owner Luca. Those are the main characters in this story, but there are also a handful of secondary characters that you can't help but love. They're funny, unique and I just loved reading about them and their quests for new lives in the stunning Sicily.

When Zelda and Lennie are still unmarried and single at 40 years of age, they go back to a pact they made then they were younger - to marry each other. When Lennie suggests to Zelda that they up and move to Sicily, because they would get a relocation fee and a house to live in, Zelda (being the impulsive woman she is) jumps at the chance and they're on the next flight out there. However, the town isn't what they expected at all, and the houses they passed on their way in which was basically rubble, turns out to be the homes they are due to live in. As well as Zelda and Lennie, there are a few other colourful characters that wanted a fresh start in life, and together they all try their hardest to start their new lives in Sicily.

However, not everything is as rosy as they had hoped it would be. The townsfolk don't want new people moving in to their town, despite it seriously needing some TLC and new life, and they try their hardest to get them to leave. Zelda doesn't let them get to her however, and is soon working with Luca to try and turn things around so they can live a peaceful life in their new home. Tensions soon rise and with young Sophia going missing, they all pull together to try and find her. As well as this, there are storms, that wreck havoc, relationship drama and big secrets that are being hidden. It's a brilliant story and so well written.

This story is unputdownable. I loved it from the very beginning - I was just sad when it ended! The characters, the location and the storyline all flowed well and worked together brilliantly. It's the perfect summer read and I adored every page. Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read an advance copy of this novel, which I have reviewed honestly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment