Sunday 21 July 2019

The Little Vineyard in Provence by Ruth Kelly


The Little Vineyard in Provence
Ruth Kelly
Rating: 4 stars

Ava needs to escape.

Stuck in a dead-end job, her husband Mark has left her with a mountain of debt and no clue as to when he'll be back.

When she receives the news that her grandfather has passed away, Ava is shocked to learn he has left his entire vineyard, Chateau Saint Clair, to her.

Fresh coffee and croissants for breakfast, a glass of red with the handsome local waiter Jacques; Ava starts to feel quite at home. But it would be madness to walk away from her marriage, to take a chance on a place she fell for as a child - wouldn't it?

Fans of Jenny Colgan, Lucy Diamond and Veronica Henry will want to join Ava for a glass of wine as the sun sets on the terrace of Chateau Saint Clair.

-------------------------------------

Another lovely summery novel set in the idyllic location of France. I'd never heard of this author before but the title caught my eye and once I'd read the synopsis I was sold. The cover is quite sweet too, I like the bold colours and the grapes and vines surrounding the outer edges. It gives a clear indication as to what the novel is about and I for one couldn't wait to get stuck in.

I really felt for Ava throughout this whole novel, her husband Mark was horrible to her and their daughter Sophie didn't exactly treat her nicely or with any ounce of respect either. So when Ava received the letter to explain that she now owned a vineyard, I was so happy for her! It was about time something went her way and I couldn't wait to read about her adventure in France.

Once Ava arrives at the vineyard, she soon realises it won't be a walk in the park. The farmhouse and vines are in dire need of repair and some TLC and Ava soon finds that the old gardener Bernard and the housekeeper are struggling to make ends meet. Ava soon meets younger waiter Jacques and they form a relationship (even though Ava is unsure at first because of the age difference). However, it soon comes to light that Jacques was hiding a secret from Ava that would break her. What with Jacques being secretive and with rival vineyard owner Ambrose trying to ruin her wine, Ava has a hard job of adjusting to life in France.

I did really enjoy this novel. I loved the location, it sounded so idyllic and simply delightful. I also loved the secondary characters such as Bernard and Ava's best friend from England. Some characters I didn't warm to, like Ava's daughter and of course Victor Ambrose. However, overall it was an enjoyable novel and I look forward to reading more by this author in the future. Thank you to the publisher for an advance copy of this novel to read, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment