Monday 28 May 2018

Sunset over the Cherry Orchard by Jo Thomas


Sunset over the Cherry Orchard
Jo Thomas
Rating: 5 stars
Publication Date: 9th of August

Jo Thomas's new novel invites you to a special cherry orchard in Spain, where sunshine, romance and family secrets are the order of the day.

Perfect for fans of Jill Mansell and Carole Matthews, Sunset over the Cherry Orchard is a heartwarming, hilarious tale that is 'like the best kind of holiday' - Lucy Diamond.

It's time for Beti Winter to dance to her own beat.

After three failed engagements Beti is in desperate need of a fresh start. What better place than the sun-drenched hills of southern Spain?

But it's not all sangria and siestas. Beti finds work on an old Andalusian cherry farm where there are cherries to be picked, trees to be watered and her fiery boss, Antonio, to win over.

As the sun toasts her skin, Beti finds herself warming to the Spanish way of life. Embracing the art of the flamenco, she discovers there is much to learn from the dance of passion. She just has to let loose and listen to the rhythm of her heart.

Jo Thomas takes you there.

-------------------------------------------------

I feel very grateful that I got a chance to read this novel, it was simply wonderful! The cover is what drew me in, those deep reds and the bright orange and yellow just looked so breathtakingly beautiful that I wanted to be where that cover was set. It really does tell us a lot about the story, what with Beti up on a ladder picking the cherries, with little kitten Ana at her feet, and her little home in the background.

The story follows main character Beti, who just can't seem to catch a break. I really felt for her throughout the story, as it seems that she just never felt like she was good enough for anyone. After a whirlwind start in Spain, Beti is in for yet another shock and finds herself getting a job on Antonio's cherry field. Not only does she help with the harvest, but she also works in Antonio's restaurant as a washer-upper.

She tries her hardest throughout the novel to save up to rent her own bar from fellow expat's Brenda and Harold, but for poor Beti, something always seems to get in her way when she reaches the last hurdle. However, around half way through the book, things appear to be on the up, until Antonio's ex-wife shows up with the ultimate ultimatum. Can Beti pull it off? Or will she be running back to England with her tail once again between her legs?

I loved this story. It's utterly refreshing to read about the main characters job being a little different to the usual ones I read about. I mean, who wouldn't love to be in Spain when the cherry blossom drops? It sounded completely and utterly gorgeous and the descriptions made me feel as though I was right there next to Beti. I was really hoping things would work out well for her, and she could prove everyone wrong. The inclusions of both the Spanish dancing and the traditional Spanish food was really enjoyable to read about. Especially the food! Oh, my mouth was watering at some of the descriptions that's for sure!

I loved the ending, it was your typical happy ever after but who doesn't want that? I will say that I found the second half of the book to be unputdownable. I loved getting to know Beti and I loved the character of Antonio's son Miguel! And really disliked both Will and Olivia (for obvious reasons that if you read it, you will find out why and completely agree with me!). Overall, I thought this was another fantastic novel by Jo Thomas, someone who's novels I have always enjoyed reading. Thank you to the publisher for a copy of this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment