Friday 4 May 2018

Summer at the Castle Cafe by Donna Ashcroft


Summer at the Castle Cafe
Donna Ashcroft
Rating: 5 stars
Amazon UK £0.99

The cosy, crumbling Castle Cafe is a place like no other. With stunning views of the sparkling sea and sandy beaches, you're guaranteed a warm welcome, delicious cake and plenty of laughter as soon as you step through the door...

When Alice Appleton escapes to the gorgeous seaside town of Castle Cove it's the change of scenery she didn't even realise she needed. Taking up a job in the charming Castle Cafe, Alice finds herself surrounded by cream teas, chocolate cake and quirky characters. Could this be the perfect place for Alice to embrace the summer?

Mysterious and hunky Jay O'Donnell has lived in picturesque Castle Cove since he was a child. As a volunteer on the lifeboats, his days by the sea are far from predictable. Haunted by a tragedy from his past, he's on a mission to save as many people as possible. But when Alice Appleton walks into his life - and turns his world upside down - he begins to realise that perhaps it might just be his turn to be rescued...

As Alice and Jay find themselves unexpectedly falling for each other, will they learn the importance of letting go to make way for second chances? And will Alice find the life she's always dreamed of in Castle Cove?

Heart-warming, hilarious and utterly romantic, you'll fall in love with Summer at the Castle Cafe and want to return time and time again. The perfect read for fans of Debbie Johnson, Lucy Diamond and Phillipa Ashley.

-----------------------------------------------

What an amazing debut novel by the lovely Donna Ashcroft. Straight away when I saw this cover I just knew that I had to read it. The cover is absolutely stunning, I adore the bright colours of the sea and sand and the castle to the left of the cover just completes it for me. It's wonderfully eye-catching and if the blurb didn't make you want to read this novel, then the cover certainly would.

Donna's writing reminded me somewhat of Holly Martin, it was classy and just a joy to read. I found this novel was really well written and I really enjoyed reading about lovely Alice and moody Jay. I love that we got to read about both of their sides and their lives, that made it really interesting and we really got to see how and why the two characters acted like and done what they did. As soon as I started this novel, I felt like I was instantly transported to the cafe and to the beautiful seaside town of Castle Cove, and if I'm honest - I didn't want to leave!

Before I started this book, I was in a bit of a reading-rut, however this soon got me out of it! It was just such an easy read that I managed to read it within a few days and throughly enjoyed it - it's the perfect summer novel. All of the characters are really unique and quirky and I loved reading about them all. Alice enjoys her work at the cafe in the castle and Jay volunteers on the lifeboat - saving people's lives on almost a daily basis. The pair are quite different in a lot of ways and start off quite disliking each other. However, they soon grow close and realise that they're not so different after all and that they are both hiding quite a few secrets...

This is a wonderful novel where straight from the start you'll be engulfed with delicious sounding food, lovely surroundings and delightful characters. Would definitely recommend you give this author a chance. Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read this novel via Netgalley, which I have reviewed honestly.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds lovely, and perfect for summer!
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete