Saturday 2 June 2018

The Summer House of Happiness by Daisy James


The Summer House of Happiness
Daisy James
Rating: 4 stars

Love is in the air...

Gabbie Andrews thought that her dreams of becoming a professional perfumer at the prestigious House of Gasnier on the French Riviera were finally coming true. There's nothing she loves more than creating the perfect fragrance for her delighted customers...

So when her boss sends her to work in a laboratory in Paris for six months, she quits on the spot! Returning to her home in Devon, she soon finds that her herbal remedies are in more demand than she ever imagined.

And when she bumps into Max, the gorgeous mechanic who works at her father's garage, she realises that life might just be about to change forever!

Perfect for fans of Christie Barlow, Debbie Johnson and Cathy Bramley.

--------------------------------

Another amazing novel by the very talented Daisy James. The first thing that always makes me want to read Daisy's novels is the cover. This one in particular is so colourful and inviting. I just want to dive straight in! I absolutely adore the colourful flowers, the cute building in the background and even the characters outfit in the centre of the cover is really cute! I also really like the title of this novel, The Summer House of Happiness just sounds beautiful and inviting.

Upon starting this book, I found I got into it straight away. Even though it's nearly 400 pages long, it was such a quick read and I found I was trying to find more time in my day to read it! The story follows main character Gabbie, who quits her job at the beginning of the novel, once she is told that she will be working in a factory for months on end to help create a new perfume. Gabbie, who really loves working with customers to see their reactions to her perfumes, declined the offer and quit on the spot.

She then moves back to her hometown in quiet Devon and soon finds that quite a lot has changed and she quickly finds herself working hard to get her dads business back to how it was when her mum was alive. As the story goes on, Gabbie gets close to new worker Max, and from the off it's obvious that sparks are flying between the pair! However, will Gabbie be able to give in to these new feelings of hers? Or is she going to shy away like she always does because she is too afraid of getting hurt?

One part of this novel that really broke my heart was about Gabbie's mum. Gabbie's mum died two years previous of breast cancer and this pretty much made me cry! It was so emotional and I really felt for Gabbie throughout the novel. One part that really broke me was when Gabbie was in the Summer House mixing ingredients and she went to turn around to ask her mums opinion - I mean who wouldn't cry at that?! It was so emotional! However, apart from this, the overall storyline felt really lighthearted and was so enjoyable that I got through it really quickly.

Overall, another really lovely and heartwarming novel by Daisy James. Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read this novel via Netgalley, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment