Friday 8 June 2018

The Cornish Village School: Breaking the Rules by Kitty Wilson



The Cornish Village School: Breaking the Rules
Kitty Wilson
Rating: 4 stars

Rosy Winter is definitely not looking for love.

Following heartbreak, Rosy has rebuilt her life in the beautiful Cornish village of Penmenna. Now, headmistress of the local school, she is living by The Rule: no dating anyone in the village. Easy right? But Rosy Winter has a new neighbour, handsome gardener Matt.

In Penmenna for his new gardening TV show, this guy next door will do everything he can to persuade her to break her rule and win her heart. Meanwhile, Penmenna Village School is threatened with closure and it's up to Rosy to rally the local community and #SaveOurSchool. Can she bring her worlds together and accept help from the most unlikely of sources? One thing's for sure... she won't be giving up without a fight.

This heartwarming romance is perfect for fans of Tilly Tennant, Holly Martin, and A. L. Michael.

--------------------------------------

The cover drew me to want to read this novel straight away, the blues, greens and yellows look stunning and I downloaded it to my Kindle straight away! The name also drew me in, The Cornish Village School sounded so quaint, Rosy has my dream job in a dream location! So the story does follow main character Rosy, who is a teacher and also headteacher of the local village primary school. The opening of this fairly short novel was quite comical and I felt for Rosy for having to deal with a difficult mum who thinks their child is the smartest and brightest in the class! It did make me laugh.

I'd never heard or read anything by this author before - and as I've mentioned a few times on this blog, I'm always excited but a bit skeptical when I download a book from Netgalley from an author I've never heard of before - however I needn't have worried. It was funny, lighthearted and really enjoyable. It's wonderfully romantic in places but also kinda different from other romance novels I've read because in this one it doesn't always work out as straightforward for Rosy and gardener Matt as she would have liked. Therefore it had a bit of an edge to it and urged me to read on!

This novel was set in the beautiful countryside in Cornwall and every description of it just made me want to go and visit (even though it is a fairly long drive from where I am!). The characters were all really friendly and the community spirit was really lovely to read about. I'd love to live somewhere where there's a really great sense of community and where everyone is lovely. The village has to pull together in order to save their local primary school and it was just a really heartwarming read. I really felt for Rosy as you could tell that the school meant a lot to her and I was just hoping everything did turn out okay for her!

When Rosy first meets Matt at the beginning of the book she feels something she's never felt before - an instant attraction! However, she soon finds him a bit irritating and sparks fly between them. It's just a really enjoyable and lighthearted, easy novel to read to pass a few hours. Overall, I'd recommend giving this novel a go. You won't regret it - and I'll certainly be looking out for more novels by this author in future! Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read this novel via Netgalley, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment