Monday 4 June 2018

The Birthday on Lovelace Lane by Alice Ross


The Birthday on Lovelace Lane
Alice Ross
Rating: 4.5 stars

Architect Mike Hylton has a significant birthday looming. One he'd much rather forget about. Not that there's much chance of that. With all the residents of Lovelace Lane acting strangely, he strongly suspects celebratory plans are afoot.

However, an unwelcome birthday surprise, and a mid-life crisis, aren't the only things Mike has to worry about. His business is seriously struggling and his only chance of saving it is to win the lucrative contract on Highwater Hall. But with a younger rival also in the running, just how far is Mike prepared to go to secure the deal?

This is the sixth short story in the Lovelace Lane series:

Short Story 1 - The Little Cottage on Lovelace Lane
Short Story 2 - The Big House on Lovelace Lane
Short Story 3 - The Wedding on Lovelace Lane
Short Story 4 - Christmas on Lovelace Lane
Short Story 5 - New Arrivals on Lovelace Lane

---------------------------------------

I feel like Alice Ross has really outdone herself with this story - I loved it! It had just the right amount of drama involved but still felt really lighthearted and overall was just a really enjoyable way to spend a few hours. The cover for this one is possibly my favourite out of all of Alice's covers so far. I adore the pretty balloons, the brightly coloured presents and the cake in the centre! It just looks so bubbly and happy - I knew I wanted to read this novel as soon as I saw the cover!

I've enjoyed all of the Lovelace Lane series that I've read so far. What I enjoy about them is the vast variety of characters that we get in each novel. For example, I wouldn't usually read a book that has a man as the main character (I just usually wouldn't relate to them) but with Alice's novels, I really related to the characters - male or female.

This particular short story is about Mike, who is getting close to his 50th birthday - not that he wants to even think about it! - and is struggling to handle his business. He feels there is competition everywhere and is soon struggling to come to terms with the changes in his life. Although there are some deep and emotional moments, it's not dark and is actually really funny. There were some moments that really made me laugh and I really enjoyed this story.

Overall, I loved this new short story in the Lovelace Lane Series. It's lighthearted, funny and most importantly a really enjoyable novel. It's just the perfect way to spend a few hours, relaxing and enjoying the story. Alice has a special way of making you wish you lived where she writes about - and this novel is no different! The community feel to the Lovelace Lane community is infectious and I love reading about the residents.

Thank you to Alice Ross for a copy of this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment