Thursday 22 February 2018

Publication Day Review: A Country Escape by Katie Fforde



A Country Escape
Katie Fforde
Rating: 4 stars
Amazon UK (K £7.99 / H £9.99)

A Year in the Country. A Year to fall in love.

Fran has always wanted to be a farmer. And now it looks as if her childhood dream is about to come true.

She has just moved in to a beautiful but very run-down farm in the Cotswolds, currently owned by an old aunt who has told Fran that if she manages to turn the place around in a year, the farm will be hers.

But Fran knows nothing about farming. She might even be afraid of cows.

She's going to need a lot of help from her best friend Issi, and also from her wealthy and very eligible neighbour - who might just have his own reasons for being so supportive.

Is it the farm he is interested in? Or Fran herself?

Warm, funny and wonderfully romantic, this is Katie Fforde at her very best.

--------------------------------------------

This is the first novel I've ever read by Katie Fforde (and have plenty more on my TBR pile!) and I must say that I was really enjoying it. I loved the setting so much and really enjoyed that it started in the country and I felt as though the story got started straight away and was really easy to read.

The story follows main character Fran, who gets a letter from a distant relative asking her to come and trial running the farm. If she manages to make the farm earn money and does so for a year, then Amy (her relative) will think about handing over the farm to Fran. Of course, Fran feels out of her depth with this, but she soon decides to give it a go and she quits her job and moves out to the country.

Best friend Issi is by her side when she moves in to the cute little cottage and they soon set about making the cottage more liveable and better looking. The setting itself is idyllic and I loved it. These type of books always make me want to quit my own job and start running a farm! But I think I'd be more like Fran and not know where to even start!

When the truck that takes the milk lets Fran know that they can't come due to the farms broken track, Fran realises that this is where the farm is going wrong. Tig (the one who helps with the cows) says to just chuck the milk away but Fran has other ideas. As she was a chef before she came down to help Amy, she decides to make cheese with the surplus milk. And honestly, some parts of it left my mouth watering!

I really enjoyed reading this story and getting to know all of the characters. I really loved Issi and found myself relating to Fran and her struggles. I was a bit dubious of Anthony to begin with but it still made a lovely story! Overall, a lovely romantic novel which you will lose yourself in.

Thank you to Netgalley and to the publisher for a chance to read this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment