Wednesday 13 February 2019

Happiness for Beginners by Carole Matthews


Happiness for Beginners
Carole Matthews
Rating: 5 stars

Molly Baker is living her best life.

Thirty-eight years old, she lives on the twenty-five-acre Hope Farm in Buckinghamshire, surrounded by (mostly) four-legged friends and rolling hills. There's Anthony the anti-social sheep, Tina Turner the alpaca with attitude, and the definitely-not-miniature pig, Teacup.

Molly runs the farm as an alternative school for kids who haven't thrived in mainstream education. It's full on, but she wouldn't have it any other way. So when the well-groomed Shelby Dacre turns up at Hope Farm asking to enrol his son Lucas, Molly isn't fazed.

But Lucas is distant and soon Molly realises he might be more of a handful than anticipated. And then there's the added problem that his dad is distractingly handsome. Molly has her beloved farm to think of - could letting Lucas and Shelby in be a terrible mistake, or the start of something wonderful?

Feel-good, funny and an absolute must-read from the queen of romance Carole Matthews, Molly's story will make your heart sing. New starts and second chances abound in Happiness for Beginners.

------------------------------------

I really enjoy Carole Matthews novels, I haven't read many but the ones in which I have read have been really enjoyable and easy to read. This one really stuck out for me and I was so eager to read more about Molly and of course about Shelby and Lucas. I absolutely loved the idea of Molly working at a farm where they've all been rescued, that made my heart sing and my eyes water but it was really very lovely to read.

The cover is so beautiful and very Spring-like. It certainly catches your eye with the bright yellow background and I just adore the little flowers dotted around the cover, and the writing is really pretty! I also love Molly's little caravan, it's so quaint and cute! Overall, it makes for a really stunningly beautiful cover and I really, really like it.

What I enjoy with Carole Matthews, is that she gives a brilliant back story and I feel like by the time the third chapter comes around, we know so much about the main character and we know quite a bit about the secondary characters too. So already, right at the start of the novel we can really relate to those characters and I find that that works really well and helps you settle into the book easier and quicker as well. The setting of this novel also sounded so idyllic, I'd love to live somewhere where you never tire of the view and have all the animals and fields.

The whole book went so quickly for me, even though it took me a while to read it, I loved every page, not wanting it to stop. I loved Molly's character, she was so easy to relate to and I loved her chilled out vibes. Bev was also a funny one for me, I found myself laughing out loud at some of her quips about Shelby Dacre - and then of course what happens at the Hope Farm Festival with Alan had me laughing too! I also really felt for Lucas, he seemed so lost and misunderstood. I loved reading about the animals, such as Tina Turner the alpaca, I absolutely adored Anthony the Sheep and of course Little Dog (I also loved how they were called Little Dog and Big Dog!).

Overall, this was amazingly written and I'll go as far as to say that this was possibly my favourite Carole Matthews' novels to date. It was fun, heart-warming and overall just an easy read. Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read this novel via Netgalley, which I have read and reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment