Wednesday 4 July 2018

Poppy's Place in the Sun by Lorraine Wilson


Poppy's Place in the Sun
Lorraine Wilson
Rating: 4 stars

Sometimes you need to lose yourself to find your way home...

With only her trusty dogs Peanut, Treacle and Pickwick by her side, Poppy Kirkbridge could be forgiven for having doubts about her move to a quiet village in rural France. But as the sun shines down on her ramshackle new home, Poppy knows she's made the right decision. A lick of paint, and some TLC and her rustic farmhouse will be the perfect holiday retreat - Poppy's dream come true.

Poppy is welcomes by her fellow villagers, except for brooding local vet Leo Dubois, who makes it clear Poppy isn't welcome in his village - or his life! Leo might be gorgeous, but Poppy won't be told what to do by an arrogant Frenchman - no matter how kind and gentle he is to her dogs!

Determined to stay, Poppy tries to understand the enigmatic Frenchman better. But as the two get closer, Poppy sees another side to Leo - a man with heartbreak of his own. Falling in love with Leo is easy, but can he ever return Poppy's love? And what would this mean for her dream life and place in the sun?

----------------------------------------

I was a bit late to the bandwagon with this one, but better late than never eh! I really enjoyed this, it was romantic, lighthearted with some deep moments - and a lot friskier than I imagined it to be!

The cover is 100% what drew me in, I love the bright colours, the pretty flowers around the border, and of course the three cute dogs surrounding Poppy! I've never read a novel by Lorraine Wilson before but I wasn't disappointed and I will definitely be looking out for more by this author in the future. I love books set in France - if my blog is anything to go by - so was really excited to start this.

I really felt for Poppy throughout the novel, not with her horrible ex Pete, but with her diagnosis. She was struggling to do much in her new French home but was so happy for her once she met Joanna and she helped Poppy out with the housework and decorating. However, having said that, that was probably the part I was looking forward to most, the decorating of the French house and the gites. I love reading about all that and French cooking etc but there didn't seem to be much in this book, less than what I thought there would be anyway.

However, it still made for a great story and I really loved it. I liked Poppy and Leo's blossoming relationship, although I felt a lot of it was sexual, it was still nice to read them opening up to each other (emotionally!) and finally letting their barriers down. There were parts of the book where I was smiling, and other parts which absolutely broke my heart and had me crying! A lot of emotions... It was a nice, happy ending.

Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read this novel via Netgalley, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment