Tuesday 17 July 2018

My Very Italian Holiday by Sue Roberts


My Very Italian Holiday
Sue Roberts
Rating: 4 stars

A beautiful guesthouse, a fresh start and a hunky Italian. Does it sound too good to be true?

When Gina arrives in Lake Como, thousands of miles away from her life in the Lake District, she wonders if she's bitten off more than she can chew. Working for Fabio, running his lakeside hotel, seemed like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. After her world was tragically turned upside down, breaking her heart in the process, she was desperate for a fresh start. Plus, it didn't hurt that Fabio was easy on the eyes...

But it's not all picturesque mountains, pizza and prosecco. The crumbling guesthouse that Fabio has inherited from his family needs some serious TLC. Is she up to the challenge?

As Gina and Fabio work in close quarters, sparks start to fly. But Fabio has a secret he is scared to share, and Gina has her past to come to terms with. Does her heart belong back home or is a life in the sun - with a very handsome Italian - just the change of scenery she needs?

Escape to the gorgeous mountains and glittering Lake Como in Northern Italy! This laugh-out-loud funny and feel-good story of starting over and living life to the max is perfect for fans of Kat French, Jenny Oliver and Carole Matthews.

----------------------------------------

I was so looking forward to reading this novel! I really enjoyed Sue's other novel so was hoping I would love this one just as much. The cover is absolutely stunning and just draws you straight to it! The bright colours, the shimmering sea and of course the cocktails just make for such a pretty cover and I wish I could go somewhere hot right now!

I will say now though, that I was surprised at how much of this book was set in England. What with the cover, the title and even the blurb I expected most of the novel to be set in Italy, so was shocked when I was more than half way through and not only were we still in England but it was Christmas as well! Don't get me wrong, the novel was so easy to read and I flew through the pages - it wasn't as though it was boring when it was set in England - it just wasn't what I was expecting to be honest. I actually really enjoyed reading about the Christmas Nativity play and Bonfire Night though! It got me a little excited about all that's to come!

Main character Gina was so relatable and I really felt for her throughout the novel as she tried her hardest to get over Adam. I loved Gina's sister Hannah and her dad was soooo cute! Actually I probably would have liked it even if the whole book was set in England! I felt like we were introduced to so many characters from the off that at first I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up and didn't know why they were all mentioned (like Paul and his dad?!) but it had such a lovely community feel to it. I also felt that Fabio and Gina's relationship felt a little rushed and we were literally running through the months! However, I just could not put this book down.

Overall, it was different to what I expected but was still a really lovely read all the same. I do really enjoy Sue Roberts style of writing, it's easy to read, lighthearted and just overall really enjoyable. Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment