Friday 25 August 2017

The Little French Guesthouse by Helen Pollard


The Little French Guesthouse
Helen Pollard
Rating: 5 stars
Amazon UK (K £1.99 / P £7.99)

Synopsis:

Sun, croissants and fine wine. Nothing can spoil the perfect holiday. Or can it?

When thirty-one-year old Emmy Jamieson arrives at La Cour des Roses, a beautiful guesthouse in the French countryside, she can't wait to spend two weeks relaxing with boyfriend Nathan. Their relationship needs a little TLC and Emmy is certain this holiday will do the trick. But they've barely unpacked before he scarpers with Gloria, the guesthouse owner's cougar wife.

Rupert, the ailing guesthouse owner, is shell-shocked. Feeling somewhat responsible, and rather generous after a bottle (or so) of wine, heartbroken Emmy offers to help. Changing sheets in the gites will help keep her mind off her misery.

Thrust into the heart of the local community, Emmy suddenly finds herself surrounded by new friends. And with sizzling hot gardener Ryan and the infuriating (if gorgeous) account Alain providing welcome distractions, Nathan is fast becoming a distant memory.

Fresh coffee and croissants for breakfast, feeding the hens in the warm evening light; Emmy starts to feel quiet at home. But it would be madness to walk away from her friends, family, and everything she's ever worked for, to take a chance on a place she fell for on holiday - wouldn't it?

-------------------------------

What a delightful start to the Little French Guesthouse series. At the moment I'm obsessed with books set in France. I'm not sure why but everything about them I just love. Especially those set in rustic villages with fields of lavender or towns with cobbled streets. But I think what I love most is the talk about the food. Gooey cheeses, crusty bread and oozing honey. Even writing that down made my mouth water!

So this series is brilliant so far (I've also just finished book two so that shall be making it's way to the blog soon enough!), with the main story revolving around Emmy who has just left her cheating boyfriend, Nathan, to help the owner of a French guesthouse. Except it's not all drinking chilled wine and lounging in the hot French sun. Emmy encounters a lot of drama and issues with her life and has to make a few hard decisions.

I really did enjoy this book, I flew through it and started straight away on the next one because I just couldn't wait to read more! The characters are all really loveable and relatable (except for Nathan and Gloria of course!) and you find yourself really connecting with Emmy and wishing you could be in France as well!

Overall, I really loved this story. It made me feel like I was in France myself and now I do really want to visit there! The cover is simply stunning and drew me in straight away. It's an easy and lighthearted read that will leave you wanting to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment