Thursday 20 September 2018

One in a Million by Lindsey Kelk


One in a Million
Lindsey Kelk
Rating: 5 stars

Everyone wants that special someone...

Annie Higgins has given up on love: she's too busy trying to get her tiny business off the ground. Infuriated by the advertising agency across the hall making fun of her job, Annie accepts their crazy challenge - to make a random stranger Instagram-famous in just thirty days.

And even when they choose Dr Samuel Page PhD, historian and hater of social media, as her target, Annie's determined to win the bet - whether Sam likes it or not.

But getting to know Sam means getting to know more about herself. And before the thirty days are out, Annie has to make a decision about what's really important...

Funny, real and heart-meltingly romantic, Annie and Sam's story is My Fair Lady for the social media age - and the perfect feel-good read.

-----------------------------------

My first read by Lindsey Kelk and certainly not my last. I was at the airport the other day with low battery on my Kindle (rookie mistake not charging it before I left!) and decided to take a browse at what was on offer. They were outrageously expensive (14 euros for this one!) but I knew I just had to buy one otherwise I'd be bored on the flight (4 hours with 6 screaming children within 2 rows of me was NOT the one let me tell you) so I settled on this one in the end.

I don't usually read novels surrounding the topic of social media as I tend to find them a bit boring - however this one was great and engaging - Lindsey Kelk's style of writing reminded me a bit of Sophie Kinsella, which I love and find hilarious! The story itself follows Annie, who owns a digital marketing company in London. The company itself is struggling, even though they have more work than what they can handle at the moment. Charlie, one of the lads which work in the same space as Annie, gives her a challenge one day - to make someone InstaFamous. Annie stupidly agrees and they agreed that whoever walked through the door next was their subject.

In walks Dr Samuel Page (with TWO PhD's!), his long hair and huge beard covering most of his face and wearing baggy clothes. Annie thinks she's doomed but doesn't give up on the bet. She is determined to win this! Over the course of the bet, their relationship changes and it was so nice to see Sam coming out of his shell, and Annie seeing that there's more to life than getting 20k followers and loads of likes on her posts. It was lovely to see that they change one another for the best.

Of course, this romance isn't plain sailing - there's heartbreak and tears but this book had such a happy and lighthearted feel to it, that once I got into it I just couldn't put it down. It's quite a hefty story (just over 400 pages) but it doesn't feel like the story dragged at all, it was a great read and I couldn't wait to see how it turned out for Annie and Sam. As well as those two main characters, I loved Miranda - she was funny and Brian was great! They all had such a great working relationship, and it had me dreaming of a career in digital marketing!

So, my overall opinion is that if you haven't read a novel by Lindsey Kelk before - that you do so immediately! Otherwise, quite frankly, you are missing out on her funny and engaging style of writing. It was fantastic and it certainly made my 4 hour flight with 6 screaming children that little bit more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment