Wednesday 3 January 2018

Christmas Cakes & Mistletoe Nights by Carole Matthews


Christmas Cakes & Mistletoe Nights
Carole Matthews
Rating: 5 stars
Amazon UK (K £0.99 / P £7.99)

Synopsis:

Fay and Danny are madly in love and it's all Fay's ever dreamed of. But she left everything - including the delightful cake shop she used to run - to be with Danny on his cosy canal boat The Dreamcatcher. And as she soon finds out, making delicious cakes on the water isn't always smooth sailing!

Then Fay gets a call from her friends, a call that sends her back to her friends and the Cake Shop in the Garden. It will be hard being away from Danny but their relationship is strong enough to survive . . . isn't it?

Fay soon falls happily back in love with her passion for baking - especially now she's on dry land again! - and starts to wonder if she ever should have left. With Christmas around the corner, Fay is determined that her friends will have a very merry time, but does that mean even more time away from Danny?

Can Fay really get everything she ever wanted in Christmas Cakes & Mistletoe Nights.

--------------------------------------------------

Oh how glad I am that I read this book the closest to Christmas. This was my last Christmas book of the year and it was an absolute joy to read. I read the first one in this little series earlier and absolutely loved it and this one is no different. There were so many little turns that I simply couldn't put it down. And all the mention of baking and Christmas food had my mouth watering like crazy!

The cover doesn't give much away, Carole Matthews has lately changed her style of covers and although I love them now, I did enjoy when they used to have the characters on the front. However, I do love the colours and the beautiful swirly gold font, along with the cupcakes and snowflakes dotted about. This book is a delight in hardback (the format in which I read it in) and has a cover which can be removed. The cover above is the outside cover and inside is like a duck egg blue/green with blue writing on the front. It's stunning and minimal when you remove the outer cover.

Now onto the story itself, I've always enjoyed Carole Matthew's novels and this one was no different. I loved Fay's story in the first one and it was so lovely to catch up with all of the characters. I loved being back in the Cake Shop in the Garden (even if it was mainly set inside due to the cold weather!) and it was nice to read about Lija and lovely Stan again. I loved the new edition of Rainbow, she really made me laugh!

I was shocked at what Danny revealed about three quarters of the way through and I really felt for Fay at this point. I was also shocked at Lija's announcement, the arrival of someone I wasn't expecting and crossing everything that lovely Stan was going to be okay! He's one of my favourite characters and without giving too much away, I was so pleased that everything turned out okay for him. There really is a lovely bond between the characters and I just loved reading about them all living along the canal.

Overall, a beautiful story. I hope we come back to the Cake Shop in the Garden in the future! But for now, I couldn't recommend this novel enough - give the first one a read too, you won't regret it! If anyone has any other Carole Matthews recommendations, please let me know! I'd love to read more of her novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment