Friday 8 May 2020

Escape to the French Farmhouse by Jo Thomas



Escape to the French Farmhouse
Jo Thomas
Rating: 4 stars

Can she find her recipe for happiness?

Del and her husband Ollie moved to a beautiful village in Provence for a fresh start after years of infertility struggles. But six weeks after they arrive, they're packing the removal van once more. As Del watches the van leave for England, she suddenly realises exactly what will make her happier... a new life in France - without Ollie.

Now alone, all Del has is a crumbling farmhouse, a mortgage to pay and a few lavender plants. What on earth is she going to do? Discovering an old recipe book at the market run by the rather attractive Fabian, Del starts to bake. But can her new-found passion really help her let go of the past and lead to true happiness?

A heart-warming tale about reclaiming your life, set amongst the lavender fields of Provence. Perfect escapism from the author of Late Summer in the Vineyard and The Honey Farm on the Hill.

----------------------------------------

Jo Thomas will always be one of my favourite authors, I love her style of writing and as always her beautiful cover has drew me in. As well as the cover, the blurb sounded idyllic - France and baking, what more could you want?

This one took a little longer than usual to get into. At first I wasn't sure where it was going to go but the more I read the more I adored Del and what she was doing for herself. She was all alone in France, after refusing to go back to a lifeless marriage and the UK with husband Ollie and she wanted to start a new life in the lovely Provence. If that's not brave I don't know what is!

When Stephanie and Tomas came into the story, again I was a little unsure. Stephanie seemed so ungrateful and quite rude that I took a mild dislike to her character. However, again the more I read about her and her life the more I warmed to her. It is certainly an inspiring novel for new beginnings and starting afresh. Fabian was another lovely character, he helped out those in need so how could you not love him? I can see why Del was so attracted to him!

Of course, one character I loved was Henri. He seemed so kind and genuine that you couldn't help warming to his character. He runs the cute little bistro just out of the centre of town and was kind enough to give Del an opportunity to earn money. He also helped out Stephanie and Tomas before Del stepped in. Del's life sounded perfect, even though it was far from it. I loved the use of lavender she put into her bakes, and also the location of the novel. It sounded beautiful.

Overall, a bit of a slow start but in the end I found myself loving it. It has some deep references but all in all it's a lighthearted novel. Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read an advance copy of this novel via Netgalley, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment