Monday 27 April 2020

Sunny Days and Sea Breezes by Carole Matthews



Sunny Days & Sea Breezes
Carole Matthews
Rating: 5 stars

Jodie Jackson is all at sea, in every sense.

On a ferry bound for the Isle of Wight, she's leaving her London life, her career, and her husband behind. She'd like a chance to turn back the clocks, but she'll settle for some peace and quiet on her brother Bill's beautifully renovated houseboat, Sunny Days.

But from the moment Jodie steps aboard her new home, it's clear she'll struggle to keep herself to herself. If it isn't Marilyn, who cleans for Bill and is under strict instructions to look after Jodie, then it's Ned, the noisy sculptor on the next-door houseboat. Ned's wood carving is hard on the ears, but it's made up for by the fact that he's rather easy on the eyes.

Bustled out of the boat by Marilyn and encouraged to explore with Ned, Jodie soon delights in her newfound freedom. But out of mind isn't out of sight, and when her old life comes knocking Jodie is forced to face reality. Will she answer the call or choose a life filled with Sunny Days and Sea Breezes?

-------------------------------------

I do enjoy a novel by Carole Matthews. And although the last one I read of hers made me cry I decided to give the author another go and hope I chose one with a happier storyline! I'm so soppy, I can't do emotional storylines. The cover is slightly different from Carole's other novels, this one is more simplistic and sophisticated. It's really pretty and I really like the choice of colours.

Straight away I bonded with Jodie, even though she's nearly 15 years older than me you can see that she had been through a lot of heartache, although what kind of heartache isn't obvious at first. She seems kindhearted and even though a bit moany at poor old Marilyn, she seemed like a good person who had just been through a lot. I quite liked Ned at first too, although what Ida said made me take a step back from him he seemed a positive man who is quite passionate about quite a lot of things. Marilyn was by far my favourite. She's so bubbly and lovely even though she had been through some awful times in her life.

As well as the lovely characters, the location of this novel sounded so beautiful and I now long to get a houseboat!! Especially one as pretty and elegant as Bill's. There are parts of this story that did make me well up a bit. I really felt for what Jodie, as well as Marilyn, had gone through and it made me feel really emotional! However, most of the story is happy and lighthearted. I wasn't entirely sure on Ida throughout the story but one character I disliked and thought was very shady was Della. I had an inkling as to what she was up to half way through the book and I hoped that what I thought was happening wasn't actually true. But alas, I was right!

I absolutely adored this book; the characters, the storyline and the setting were all amazing and I was so sad when I finished it. I hope one day we can return and read some more about Jodie and Ned and the rest of the Isle of Wight gang. I would definitely say that this is my favourite book of 2020 so far. It just made me feel all sorts of emotions and I loved every page. Thank you to the publisher for a chance to read an advance copy of this novel via Netgalley, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment